Source: http://www.foresightguide.com/cultures-of-china-and-the-usa-implications-for-global-leadership/
Today I studied about
Individualistic and Collectivist cultures. In a society oriented to
individualism, for instance the United States, people are encouraged to be
independent. Children have freedom to
express themselves. As youth enter
adulthood, they expect and are expected to make decisions about their own
lives. There is great emphasis on self-sufficiency,
self-determination, self-competence, self-responsibility. There is more competition. People
are more likely to blame themselves and feel shame or guilt if they don’t meet
expect. Knowledge is freely available to
anyone who wants it. People should take
care of their own needs and only turn to their families as a last
resource.
On the other hand, in a
collectivist culture like Asia countries, people are encouraged to be interdependent. Children are rarely allowed to do their own
thing without the consent of their parents.
There is emphasis of group-oriented values, togetherness and
harmony. There is more cooperation. People are more likely to feel shame or guilt
if their behavior is judged to being disgrace on the group. People of high social status holds knowledge
that is transmitted orally to people who have passed ceremonial milestones or
belong to a restricted group. Family
members may desire or feel obligated to care for relatives in need. Accepting help may be viewed as evading
family responsibilities.
In 2014, here in
Brazil, we had a great demonstration of how a collectivism culture has
responsibility for everyone. Brazil was
holding the World Cup. After a soccer
match, Japanese supporters were filmed cleaning the stadium. Brazilians were astonished because we have
never seen such attitude. Many TV
programs talked about it. It was a great
example to us and now I realize that it is part of their group-oriented
culture.
We also read a very
interesting article about positives and negatives in the real world of these
two cultures or the myth of Chinese schools.
According to Yong Zhao, Chinas has the best and the worst education
system in the world. It is the best
because it produces the highest test scores.
However, it sacrifices creativity, divergent thinking, originality and
intrinsic motivation.
These studies made me
think about my role as a teacher and as a mother. It made me think about what kind of education
I want to provide for my son and for my students. As a mother and teacher, I will do my best to
promote cooperation, group unity and harmony as well as creativity, curiosity,
social-emotional development and intrinsic motivation.
Sources:



Hi Carine!
ResponderExcluirI am very impressed by the quality of your work. I love the very organized and clear way to express your comments regarding the subject of individualism vs collectivism. Thanks for including the links. I believe that in the end individualism and collectivism are intertwined and both can complement each other.
Sandy
Hi Sandy, thank you for your nice comment. I also love reading your posts, enriched by your personal experiences. I agree that individualism and collectivism can complement each other.
ResponderExcluirYou did a great job with a lot of information included in. I think that really shows some commitment to your blog. Japanese people are very courteous and conscious of others. When I went there I saw everyone lining up near the escalators in a shopping mall. I wondered if there was someone famous or if something was going on, it was a large crowd lining up you see, but as I got closer I saw that were lining up to be able to ride on the right side of the escalator so that if anyone was in a hurry the left side would be open. I have never seen anything like it before. It was all voluntary, no one was making them get into lines, they just did it out of politeness.
ResponderExcluirHi David, thank you for your nice comment and for sharing experience in Japan. I really enjoyed knowing about that.
ResponderExcluirHi Carine,
ResponderExcluirYou gave very good examples of individualism and collectivism. To me, they don't have to be really separated. Some situations call for individualism while others demand collectivism. A person can be both at different scenarios. Thank you for your post.
Michelle