Based on Morden, 1999; Kotabe and Helsen, 2001
Today I’ve watched a lecture about Cultural
Differences in Concerning TIME. The
lecture was an assignment from my TESOL course.
In the lesson, professor Ivers, from BYU-Idaho, talks about monochronic
and polychronic cultures. Monochronic
cultures are oriented to tasks, schedules and procedures. Policy and schedule are extremely important in
these cultures. On the other hand, polychronic
cultures are ruled by relationships and family and it’s very hard to get things
done without connections in a polychronic culture. He
illustrates his lecture with some examples like a polychronic hairdresser with
a monochronic customer. The hairdresser sets
an appointment with a relative, a best friend and a customer at the same time
because she does not want to hurt anyone’s feelings. The customer gets frustrated because time is
sacred for her and the hairdresser is not respecting her time. This
video impacted my current perceptions and thoughts concerning this issue since
I’ve realized I am a monochronic person in a polychronic society. Being a Brazilian, sometimes I feel
uncomfortable about how people consider my time. Certainly, relationships and family are
extremely important to me. But I am very
oriented to schedules as well. I do not
like lateness or when people miss an appointment without cancelling in advance. However, the lecture made me realize that
sometimes it is not a matter of lack of consideration or rudeness by
others. It may be just a matter of being
monochronic or polychronic. This new
insight can help cross-cultural understanding in my classroom since I can
understand better how students and parents manage their time according to their
culture.

I agree with you, and I think that having a balance between what we do with our time and how we expect others to spend theirs. I think that if someone is not keeping commitments and it is damaging to them or others than they need help. If not, then it is just their way and it would be good to try and understand it.
ResponderExcluirBut great job on that.
Hi David, thanks for your comment. Balance is really crucial. I agree that we can be the way we are unless it damages others or ourselves.
ExcluirCarine,
ResponderExcluir"I’ve realized I am a monochronic person in a polychronic society." I loved that phrase because I think the same happens with me. Even my relatives and friends make jokes about it or comments about how I am always on time. I think that being on time is a good habit we should pursue. Even our leaders have counseled us to be punctual not only concerning time, but also concerning the compromises we make. We should respect the things we say and respect others too.
Hi Lou, thanks for your post. So, you know how I feel rigt? Our culture has many interesting characteristics but I do believe that punctuality is a great habit that shows respect.
ExcluirHi Carine,
ResponderExcluirIt's interesting that you are a monochronic person in a polychronic society. Why do you think that is the case?
Jan
Hi Jan, thanks for your post and answer. I'm not sure about your question but maybe because my parents and some relatives are also monochronic concerning punctuality.
ResponderExcluir